Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Yeah! Yet Another Post on Goodbyes!!

I realize that this is about my 8,165th post about goodbyes.  This is me, beating a dead horse.  I know this, but I can't help it.  If this blog is supposed to be a true narrative of our time here, then saying goodbye is a big part of that story.

Today, Casey and Angelica left.  They are the first two-and they are on the same flight out of Adana as I write this.  You would think that by now (Air Force move #3) this would be easier for me.  And truly, I have learned not to attach myself to places.  My mom is always surprised at how easily I can pull away from a home, a neighborhood, and a city for the last time.  It's not that I don't feel emotion, but I just don't let myself get attached to the "stuff" of one assignment or another.

The people, on the other hand, are what kills me.  Beating a dead horse again-I cannot put into words how intensely you bond with people at remote assignments like Incirlik.  They are family-that is no exaggeration. You see them every day, day in and day out, for 2 straight years. It almost feels like what I would think a divorce would feel like.  It hurts.

I know this is a small world and an even smaller Air Force.  My Texas best bud, Lisa, will live a few blocks from me in Virginia.  I know I will see these people again.  But it won't be the same.....and that is what makes it even tougher.  I am not only saying goodbye to friends, but to a part of my life that is ending.

Yuck. Don't like this one bit!

1 comment:

  1. Thinking about you, Sarah!! ((BIG HUGS)) as you walk the road of "See you laters". Because you're right...the AF is a small, big world, and you'll definitely see each other again. :)

    ReplyDelete