Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mother's Day

My friend Wendi emailed me a few weeks ago with what seemed at the time to be a great idea.  The base was offering an overnight spa getaway by train for moms on Mothers Day.  Everything here in Turkey is amazingly cheap, so the whole thing-from room, to food, to transport, to spa treatments, would run me only a little over 100 dollars.  Sounds too good to be true, right?

Right.

The train ride was nice enough (for Turkey), and the hotel wasn't the worst place I have ever stayed-but my standards have lowered quite a bit since living here.  But the "spa"?  It was actually a Turkish bath, or hamam.  I had heard about them, but never had even a little desire to experience them.  But experience I did.  I won't go into too much detail on a public blog, but I will say that I have NEVER been cleaner in my entire life.  I also don't think there is a doctor on earth who "knows" me as well as my spa attendant.

The best part of the weekend was the friends, as it usually is.  Wendi and Linda were such fun and always make things so much more enjoyable.  I loved getting to make one last Turkish traveling memory with them!

Linda and I before the hamam.  Look at us, still so excited and innocent.  Little did we know what awaited us.....

The dining car on the way there.  Love these friends!

Peace out, Turkey.  It's been real.

No comments:

Post a Comment