Monday, February 28, 2011

Doing What You Have To Do

One of the most common comments I get from well-meaning friends back home regarding our move to Turkey goes something like this-"Better you than me, I could never live that kind of life or do what you are doing." I understand the intent of statements like this.  My friends are trying to encourage me by telling me I am being brave or courageous in some way.  Maybe they are trying to tell me they admire what we are doing.  I know this, but the comment still makes me cringe.

I just want to tell them that they absolutely could and would do the same thing I am doing if that were their only option.  No one knows what they are capable of until it becomes a reality that they must navigate. 

Why am I rambling about this now?  My mother is coming to Turkey this weekend.  My mother, who has never been over the Atlantic, is coming to Turkey.  I am sure if you asked her a few years ago where she wanted to travel, Turkey would have been near the bottom of her list-or not on it at all.  Yet she is spending a fortune to come here.  She is flying to the Middle East by herself.  Even as I type those words, they are hard to believe.  She probably thought for a long time that this was something she could never or would never do.  But her whole perspective changed when this move became reality.  Her daughter is in Turkey.  Her grandson is in Turkey.  So she is coming to Turkey.

You do what you have to do.

3 comments:

  1. Ummm ... and Wendi! Let's not forget that Wendi is in Turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree- but I can still say that you are doing it gracefully :) I know you are SO excited for your mom to be coming! Mom is here helping with the girls and Daniel, and there are just some things that ONLY your mom will do for you. Y'all have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you'll get to see your Momma! That will do a lot for your soul....now you know I would love to do what your doing...trying to convince jay to take me to Greece for our anniversary....just about your neighbors! hugs!

    ReplyDelete