Thursday, November 4, 2010

Who Knew??

In preparing for this move, I tried to anticipate the majority of the big changes that lie ahead that would take getting used to. Most were pretty obvious-but not all. I have discovered several things I miss that I had no clue about prior to coming.

1. Clocks. That's right. In Turkey, the electrical circuits are different-so clocks plugged in to the wall will not keep correct time. No microwave clock. No oven clock. No alarm clocks by the bed. So weird to get used to.

2. Radio. There is one English radio station here-101.1. That's it. And if you don't like techno-Euro-pop, you're out of luck. Funny thing though, this station will play Martina McBride, Bryan Adams, and "My Perogative" by Bobby Brown frequently. Quite the trio, huh? I miss my christian radio, and in general, just variety on the radio. On the positive side, I have forgotten how much I like to jam to "My Perogative".

3. Commercials. We get AFN (Armed Forces Network), and instead of commercials, they show pretty amateur and comical morale boosters and reminders about military life and life in general. I could tell you anything you want to know about the different kinds of Power of Attorneys or how to put out a kitchen grease fire, but haven't a clue about what's on sale at Old Navy or the latest Ford Truck model. I also miss that Chik-Fil-A cow.

That's all for now-but next time you hear Bobby Brown, think of the Turks and the Stebbins, and smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment