Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Day in Turkey

We just returned from a lovely Thanksgiving Day Feast hosted by our dear friends John and Wendi.  With only a few exceptions, everyone who is near and dear to us on this base was there.  It was a wonderful time-lots of laughter, kids running all around, and delicious food.  It occurred to me more than a couple of times this afternoon that this is it.  The last Thanksgiving here.  The last Christmas is coming.  Many "lasts" have either already happened or are on their way.  While I am certainly excited about our future-I am definitely sad about this chapter closing.

Unless you have lived overseas on a small base, it is very difficult to describe the degree to which you bond with the others living around you.  It is not an overstatement to say that they feel like family.  Truly.  It will be so strange to leave them all not knowing when or if our paths will cross again.

This Thanksgiving, I am, as usual, counting my many blessings.  There are always too many to even name-but family is always at the top of the list.  Alabama family, Washington Family, and now...Turkey Family.

Beaudoins, Mayos, Clarks, Kitsteiners, Yerringtons, Balskus, Marrons, Jones, Kellihers, Stepps, and many more....I am so grateful for all of you.  You are a blessing to both me and my family, and I am glad to have shared this journey with you.  I know I will remember this Thanksgiving for a long time-and I think it will probably go down as one of my favorites.






1 comment:

  1. I thank my God every day for you Stebbs. My life is a better one for having you in it.

    ReplyDelete