Sunday, January 9, 2011

It's Time.



Tomorrow night in Glendale, Arizona, the Auburn Tigers will play the Oregon Ducks for the National Title.  Even as I type this, it is hard to believe it is true.  I know some of you out there probably think I take football way too seriously.  Maybe I do.  But when you have routed for a team for as long as you can remember, it becomes a part of who you are.  And it's not just about football.  It's about great memories made with friends and family watching games either at the stadium or on the TV.  It's about experiencing the thrill of a last second victory or the agony of a last second defeat.  It's about learning sportsmanship and that a true fan is a fan win OR lose.

For me, it's also about 4 years (OK Dad, maybe more like 5) of my life that I will never forget.  Auburn is the place that I figured out what I wanted to do with my life, made some of my closest friends, and grew into the person I am today.  I can't think of a geographical location that I love more than that little town.  Whenever I return, even for a short visit, memories flood my mind and I am happy.

And tomorrow night in Glendale, some of my closest friends will be in the stadium because they feel the exact same way I do.  It's more than a game.  It's more than a team.  It's a part of us.  Win or lose, I am so proud of my Tigers for this incredible accomplishment.  So, for the last time for hopefully a long while, we will get up at 3:30 in the morning.  We will be cheering right along with everyone I love.  At the same time-even though oceans separate us.  For those few hours, we are together.  And that feels pretty special too.

War Eagle from Turkey!

UPDATE: 22-19  AUBURN IS THE BCS CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way- we have loved AU for 40 years. And I thought it was more like 6 years???

    ReplyDelete