Monday, December 27, 2010

A Christmas Miracle

We spent the last week in Istanbul with great friends (MUCH more on that later).  On the second day there, we were exhausted from touring a huge city with a 2 year old (MUCH more on that later as well) and just wanted something relaxing and familiar.  No mosques.  No bazaars.  No kebabs.  So while the rest of our group toured the Spice Bazaar-the Stebbins found a shopping mall on Christmas Eve.

As we were walking in, I glanced at the directory to see what there was in the way of food.  We were feeling homesick and weary.  Then my eyes focused on 2 words that I thought I would never see in Turkey.  KRISPY KREME.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I called for Ryan to come look-he was equally astounded.  Much like the Christmas shepherds looking for Baby Jesus, we made haste to find what we were looking for.  And there it was-our little Christmas Miracle in the middle of Istanbul.  Something familiar. Something of home.  We got a dozen and took them back to the hotel to share with our friends.  When they returned and saw the box, their reactions were priceless.  I thought my friend Wendi would cry.  We downed a dozen glazed bad boys quicker then I thought possible.  Smiles and full tummies all around.

Thank you Jesus for all the ways, big and small, that you love us.  Thank you for giving some homesick Americans a fun Christmas blessing that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment