Thursday, June 16, 2011

Turnover

Imagine a small town.  Everyone knows everyone else.  You see the same people day in and day out.  There is a comfort that comes from that-kind of a security blanket.  And then imagine that within 2 months, 67% of that small town moves away and new people take their places.  Can you picture it?

That is precisely what is happening at Incirlik right now.  The summer is the most popular time to PCS (military slang for moving to a new base) and our tiny base is undergoing quite the transformation.  There are new faces everywhere you look. 

The good thing is that these new people will no doubt inject a fresh energy here.  Many, if not most, of the people I have met have small children-so it also means new friends for my son.  The hard thing is the goodbyes.  So many good friends are leaving.  People I have grown accustomed to seeing and interacting with on a regular basis.  It is almost as if I am new here again too.  I have to learn new names and faces.  I don't see the familiar faces when I am out.  It is a new base to me again.

And as I am about to be home in the States for a long stretch, it will be even more different when I return.  Another strange fact of life in this crazy season that the Lord has placed us in.  You just have to roll with the punches......

No comments:

Post a Comment