Monday, August 6, 2012

The Stebbins Go to Washington.....



We are here!!  After a week with family in Alabama, we made our way up the East Coast to our new home.

The last week, if I am being honest, has been really rough.  We are just trying to find our rhythm in this new place.  We don't have our shipment from Turkey yet, so our house is empty and we don't have much in the way of supplies (I need an iron badly!).  Ryan's job will also take some adjustment.  We are used to having him home much more than normal.  He will doing well to get home by 6:30 here.  The pace of life is different, and while it is wonderful, it will take some getting used to.  Each night when my head hits the air mattress (yes, we sleep on air mattresses right now), I am exhausted beyond belief.  It feels almost like the culture shock I felt in the beginning in Turkey, but in reverse.

In all of the chaos, though, there have been great blessings.  Our San Antonio best friends, the Richardsons, live about 2 miles away and have been incredibly helpful.  I don't know what I would do without them, actually.  Laura, a friend from Turkey, has also been such a blessing.  She has kept W while I worked on the house, and just provided some much needed fellowship on these long days in an empty house.  Finally, my friend Ellen was here visiting and we got to spend a fun day together.

After such a tough week, I knew I needed an outing to get me excited again about my new home.  So we planned a little day trip to downtown DC.  The metro system here is incredibly easy, safe, and clean.  We hopped on at our station and rode about 25 minutes.  Our stop was right in the middle of the National Mall.  We spent the afternoon exploring 3 museums and taking in some sights and sounds of our nation's capital.

As I emerged from the Metro tunnel and saw the Washington Monument on my left and the US Capitol on my right, I couldn't help at chuckle at the incredible journey that my life has been the past 2 years.  From life in Texas, to living as far removed from American culture as possible, to returning and being right in the very heart of it.........what a way to come full circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment